Thursday 1 January 2015

Here's to 2015...

2014 has been quite the year.

Firstly, I joined the magnificent Vinspire team, writing about all things drinks related. I also went on a Hobbs House bread making course, which changed my life forever; I'm still nurturing my beloved sourdough starter and churning out loaves every weekend - yesssss. I've made numerous trips to London for foodie fun times, and I finally made the trek up to Scotland, where I discovered a love for whisky and ate in some Glasgow greats.

2014 has also been the year where I managed to get a table at Tom Kerridge's Hand & Flowers - phwoar - and I visited a firm favourite, Le Champignon Sauvage, not once but twice! (we'll get to that second trip in a bit..)

The biggest news of this year has to be down to Beards Jewellers. Back in September The Great Diamond Rush descended on Cheltenham; ten diamonds - each worth £1000 - were hidden around the town, and keen hunters had to purchase special treasure maps in order to locate the gems. Celebrating 200 years in business, Beards organised the event, and all the money raised went straight to Maggie's Cancer charity. The Chap and I fancied our chances, and after hours of raiding various venues, and almost admitting defeat, it seemed our luck was in. Nestled in a leafy trellis outside Crazy Eight's at 131 The Prom, there it was, and my lovely man found it!


As exciting as that was in itself, it got better... When we returned to Beards to have a look at our sparkly diamond, The Chap only bloody proposed! Eek! Obviously I said yes, it would've been pretty awkward otherwise. Cotswolds TV have a wonderful video of the event and the moment it happened, which you can view here. We celebrated over a late lunch and an AMAZING bottle of fizz; a 1998 Nyetimber Blanc de Blancs. I still dream of those biscuity bubbles.


Two months later, after numerous design ideas, it was time to pick up our diamond rush ring, which had generously been paid for by Beards themselves. The date was set for a Saturday, and The Chap had booked a surprise dinner for the night before to mark the occasion. That surprise turned out to be Le Champignon Sauvage, where we ate the Chef's Tasting Menu; dear Lord it was good, and I'll fill you in on the details in the next couple of days.


The surprise didn't stop there though did it; I really should have seen it coming. The sneak had only gone and got the ring early, and when I came home - thanks to the help of his mum - there it was with a huge bouquet of flowers and a bottle of champers.


It was EVERYTHING I could have hoped for and more. Sophie at Beards has done such a wonderful job in designing it. Both Scott and I couldn't be happier with the result; it's PERFECT. Yey!


To round these series of events off, we organised an engagement party/unveiling of the ring back at the scene of the crime, Crazy Eights. We had a gorgeous dinner with family and close friends, then celebrated with many more chums and more wine that I care to mention! It was spectacular.


I'm not sure how 2015 will top all of this, but I'll most certainly try. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

No comments:

Post a Comment